Pages

06 May 2013

Effulgent

If you watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer all the way through and loved Spike as much as me, chances are you'll remember "effulgent."

I'm pleased to report that I have spotted "effulgent" in the wild, in John Metcalfe's 1925 story "The Smoking Leg," along with a nearly identical word of similar meaning, "refulgent." Best purple prose I've read in a long while. "The Smoking Leg" is secretly hilarious, deliciously critical of the European colonial project and its ultimately self-destructive tendencies. Plus: effulgent.

2 comments:

Mina Lobo said...

I heart the idea of something being "secretly hilarious." :-D

I missed the boat on Buffy when it was in its heyday. Only last year did I start watching repeats on Chiller (how I miss Chiller since I moved last September!). I didn't quite finish the series. I think the last ep I watched when Buffy tells Spike they're done...this was the penultimate series, I think? It broke my heart to see Spike so desolate, and it was the very day of my move, which messed me up a bit as well, so I've not gone back to Hulu to finish it...maybe I will when I'm in a happier place.
Some Dark Romantic

Deborah Walker said...

Fantastic. How did he do that without laughting: effulgent.

ShareThis