Pages

02 November 2011

NaNoWriMo Day 1

Yeeeahhhhhh! (Foam is coming out of my mouth right now. That's normal, right?)

I wrote 3714 words today. My book opens in the year 1348, when the Black Death struck Britain. (It hit bits of the rest of Europe the year before.) My idea concerns death and magic and diverges from what really happened historically on page one. I have no title, not even a working title, and that is driving me nuts.

Beginnings are fun but I know from experience that I have to move carefully. I'm trying to pack my opening scene with good, useful stuff for later, and not garbage that I'll wish I hadn't included. Because NaNo novels fly by so quickly, they need to have solid stuff that you can use later or else they turn into weird fluff by the end of the month. I don't want the fluff. I want necromancy and kickass chicks. Eventually I'll include a cast of thousands (well, tens), but for now my MC / focal point character is turning out to be messed up and cool in all kinds of great ways.

My outline includes the term "farm hooker," although my book will not.

Happy writing, Wrimos.



7 comments:

Trisha said...

Okay, I LOVE the sound of your story. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Good luck with Day 2! :)

Deborah Walker said...

It sounds fabulous. Carry on.

mooderino said...

An excellent start, keep that momentum going!

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino
The Funnily Enough

Unknown said...

exciting. particularly the farm hooker.

J E Fritz said...

Sounds like you're off to a good start. And the foam is totally normal. It should go away in a day or two.

Anonymous said...

"I want necromancy and kickass chicks." Don't we all? ;-)

Sarah Mäkelä said...

Wow! That sounds awesome. I'm totally intrigued. Farm hooker? LOL I want to know more.

ShareThis