Pages

13 June 2012

Did You Ever Grow Anything in the Garden of Your Mind?

This is going viral, which is awesome and has partially restored my faith in humanity. PBS it seems has undertaken to create remixes of iconic figures from its catalogue of shows, beginning with Mister Rogers. Symphony of Science / Remixes for the Soul's John D. Boswell, aka melodysheep, put together this absolutely wonderful piece.

If you grew up with Mister Rogers like I did, this will probably resonate strongly. For me, remembering Mister Rogers conjures up memories of my parents' basement rec room with its orange carpet and wood panelling, and the ancient television set with the rotor that you turned to align the antenna so it would pick up the station. Along with Sesame Street and the occasional viewing of The Friendly Giant, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood was a regular part of my formative years.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

 

A Note on Being Neglectful
So while I've been in blogger-limbo, a number of super awesome bloggers have nominated me for this award:


Apologies to those of you who've handed this to me without acknowledgement. I've buzzed by to let you know I still love you.

Go visit these people, will you?

Sherry Ellis, mommy blogger extraordinaire. Sherry writes short sharp hilarious pieces about family life. She should be more famous. I bet her books, The Baby Woke Me Up, AGAIN (for parents) and That Mama Is a Grouch (for kids) are full of her great humour.

Jim Wright lives in Amman, Jordan. I loved Jim's blog from the moment I set eyes on it because his exceptional life takes centre stage. Lately he's been posting parts of a story called The Wall Crack'd, which is super intriguing and makes me want to pick up his book, New Yesterdays.

I am always happy when I land at Catherine Stine's Idea City because of the gorgeous banner at the top of her page. Catherine's book Fireseed One is on my TBR list. It should be on yours, too.

I'm short on time today so I'm not gonna nominate anyone for this award, but if you want it, please grab it!

I am supposed to put seven random facts about myself here, but I would love it if you left a random fact about you in the comments. I'll claim it for my own, and thus appear much more interesting than I otherwise would.

5 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

That was a great video. I think I grew a book in mine!

Um, as for random things, sort of by definition, if I leave you anything that I think of, it's not random (I did a whole post about "random"). I could leave you a non-sequitur thing, though. As soon as I think of something :/

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Random fact. I weigh 311 lbs. But not for long. Because I have made promises to someone I love.

Jocelyn Rish said...

I had a big, goofy grin on my face the whole time I watched the Mister Rogers remix. Does that count as a random fact?

How about this: the 2 key on my laptop doesn't work anymore, so I have a doc on my desktop with 2s and at signs to copy and paste when needed. It's annoying.

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

JR: I have a fan problem. When my laptop gets too hot the L and S keys stop working. Very strange I know. So I switch to using 1 and 5 on the number pad!

Elizabeth Twist said...

Okay, so here's my revised bio:

Elizabeth Twist is a 311 lb writer who loves Mister Rogers and has a strange, possibly heat-based effect on laptops. She grows books in the garden of her mind.

I love it. Let's see if it propagates.

ShareThis